Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Register
Student Loan Ombudsmen
Share |

The Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group of the U.S. Department of Education is dedicated to helping resolve disputes related to Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, Guaranteed Student Loans, and Perkins Loans. The Ombudsman Group is a neutral, informal, and confidential resource to help resolve disputes about your federal student loans. Before contacting the Ombudsman Group, be sure to follow the Department’s recommendations to resolve problems with your student loan yourself. If you have tried to resolve the problems with your loan but have not been able to, get prepared before seeking the Ombudsman Group’s help. Once you are prepared, fill out an online form in order to receive assistance from the Ombudsman Group. You can also contact them through the post office, phone or fax.

U.S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman Group
830 First Street, N.E., Mail Stop 5144
Washington, DC 20202-5144
Phone: (877) 557-2575
Fax: (202) 275-0549

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Student Loan Ombudsman
The CFPB has an online form that you can use to tell them about complaints with private student lenders or about servicers and collectors of all types of student loans. The CFPB says that it will assist all borrowers experiencing problems taking out a private student loan, repaying their private student loan, or managing a student loan that has gone into default and may have been referred to a debt collector. The CFPB website also includes other tools to help borrowers understand their student loan options.

Guaranty Agency, Lender and Servicer Assistance
Many guaranty agencies, lenders and servicers have their own ombudsman or customer service offices. Below is a partial list of guaranty agency and lender resources. If your loan holder is not on this list, you should still check to see if they have an ombudsman or customer advocate unit. If you do not know which agency is holding your loan, you should be able to retrieve this information from the National Student Loan Data System.

The agencies prefer that you first try to resolve your problem with the representative from their company or from a collection agency that has already contacted you. The ombudsman will get involved if these initial efforts are unsuccessful. You should only call one of these programs if they hold your loan.

American Student Assistance
Diane Zitur
111 Washington Avenue South
Suite 1400
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(651) 325-3015

Aspire Servicing Center (ASC)
Jeremy Hoffman, (800) 243-7552, Ext. 7161
6775 Vista Dr
West Des Moines, IA 50266-9305
(800) 243-7552

Brazos Higher Education Service Corporation, Inc.
Debra Urias
Vice President, National Client & School Relations Director
2600 Washington Avenue
Waco, TX 76710
(254) 297-7445

College Assist/Nelnet Guarantor Solutions
Germaine Terry
3015 South Parker Road, Suite 400
Aurora, CO 80014
(303) 696-3598

Edfinancial Services
Misty Hamilton, (866) 847-0149, Ext. 5304
Sabrina Najhawan, (866) 847-0149, Ext. 5396
298 North Seven Oaks Drive
Knoxville, TN 37922

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) transferred its student loan portfolio, which was serviced by EdFund, to ECMC

Educational Credit Management Corporation (ECMC)*
Diane Zitur
111 Washington Avenue South
Suite 1400
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(651) 325-3015

*In addition to EdFund/CSAC (California) ECMC has the guarantees for Oregon, Virginia, Connecticut, South Carolina, Tennessee

Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation
P.O. Box 7859
Madison, WI 53707-7859
(866) 486-7140 OR (608) 246-1485

Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA)
E. H. Stewart, Jr.
4 Quakerbridge Plaza
P.O. Box 549
Trenton, NJ 08625-0549
(609) 588-3351

Illinois Student Assistance Commission
Sue Kenik and Christine Shields
1755 Lake Cook Road
Deerfield, IL 60015
(800) 899-4722

Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority
Elaine Brumback
P.O. Box 798
Frankfort, KY 40602
(800) 928-8926, Ext. 67278

Michigan Guaranty Agency
Thomas Trudgeon

Janet McKeown
P.O. Box 30047
Lansing, MI 48909-7547
(517) 335-1723

Missouri Department of Higher Education
Marla Robertson
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469
(800) 473-6757

Paul Voigt
(636) 733-3700, Ext. 3465

National Student Loan Program
NSLP Ombudsman Office
1300 O Street
Lincoln, NE 68508
(800) 735-8778, Ext. 6411

Office of the Customer Advocate
Po Box 4200
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773-4200

North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority/College Foundation, Inc.
Sharon Grubb
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
(800) 700-1775

NYS Higher Education Services Corporation
Office of the Ombudsman
99 Washington Avenue
Albany NY 12255

Oklahoma College Assistance Program (OCAP)

Jaime Shelton
P.O. Box 3000
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-3000
(800) 247-0420

PHEAA/FedLoan Servicing 
The Office of Consumer Advocacy 
1200 N. 7th Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102 
(800) 213-9827 

Rhode Island Division of Higher Education Assistance
Tom Pearce
Director of Program Administration
Account Resolution Department
560 Jefferson Blvd., Suite 100
Warwick, RI 02886
(401) 736-1120 OR (800) 922-9855, Ext. 3

Sallie Mae
More information can be found about the Sallie Mae Customer Advocate Unit, including how to contact the Unit.

Trellis Company (formerly Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation)
John Seibert
P.O. Box 83100
Round Rock, TX 78683-3100
(800) 252-9743, Ext. 4782
More information about Trellis Company Ombudsman 

Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority
Michelle Hansen
The Board of Regents Bldg.
The Gateway
60 South 400 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
(801) 321-7225

Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC)
Rose Bean
P.O. Box 2000
10 East Allen St
Winooski, VT 05404
(800) 954-2440

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal